Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Where The Wild Ladies Are Review + Why I've Taken up Learning Japanese




Two months into this lock down and i'm torn between spending every waking moment upskilling or trying to distract myself. It's been a while since I've had such ample time to learn for the sake of learning and to explore my curiosity and not for an exam that taking up a new skill as a adult seems a bit disorienting.

Between reorganising my room and bookshelves for the 156th time I came across my old Spanish notes from my second year of uni. When I was still pretty bad, but improving bit by bit and most of all, still enjoying learning for the sake of it and the fun of discovering new things unknown to me because it was otherwise not as known and praised in English canon.

So, i'm taking a break from learning because I have to, and starting a new language, Japanese, purely because I can. Working on Japanese for an hour each day has been helping me maintain a healthy daily routine, much like it did years ago at uni. I'm starting to get to grips with Hiragana and Katakana and slowly making my way with vocab and basic grammar.


 


Between language learning, I've been reading much more. Since travelling last Autumn, I've been checking out more translated fiction from East Asia, much of which has been newly translated and publishing in 2020. Earlier on in the year I read Tokyo Ueno Station (Tiled Axis Press) by Yu Miri and translated by Morgan Giles. The story of a homeless ghost as it roams the busy parks and streets outside a bustling station in Tokyo, exploring class division and what it means to be an outsider in many forms has been one of my favourites I've read so far this year. So when I heard Titled Axis were publishing Matsuda Aoko's collection, Where The Wild Ladies Are, translated by Polly Barton, I eagerly grabbed a copy.



Where The Wild Ladies Are – Matsuda Aoko
Publication date: February 13th 2020
ISBN: 978-1-911284-38-3
Publisher: Tilted Axis


A collection of feminist retellings of Japanese ghost stories, each of these stories goes beyond the fearful, vengeful female spirits you're usually accustomed to seeing. With complex identities, motives and living harmoniously in the world of the living, the modern ghost story is given new life.

Favourite short stories: What She can do, The Peony Lanterns, Quite a Catch

Much like Spanish, I'd hope to reach a level of competence where I can read the original short stories. But again, there's no pressure. Last thing we need is more of that in the midst of a pandemic. In any case, having been in the translators shoes (albeit a while ago) I've a real respect for translators who can seamlessly capture the meanings of the original prose and the writer's style while simultaneously giving due respect to the time and culture the story takes place in. Over the coming months, some more translations i'll be looking out for are:

Translated fiction TBR:
  • Breasts and Eggs by Meiko Kawakami
  • Hurricane Season by Fernanda Melchor
  • Untold Night and Day by Bae Suah

No comments:

Post a Comment